smart as a whip
thick as two short planks
dumb as a bag of hammers
Sorry, there seems to have been a problem.
Perhaps Twitter's down, or perhaps you misspelled one of the names. Try again!
- What's this all about?
- FACT: A lot of people on Twitter are stupid. Many of these people follow celebrities and try to send them messages. But which celebrity's fans are most stupid? It's time to find out.
- Who made it?
- Hello. I'm Tom Scott. I live at tomscott.com, and you can email me or follow me on Twitter. The crowd photo is from Anirud Khoul and is CC-licensed.
- What do you mean by 'stupid'?
- Stupid Fight can't go out and administer an intelligence test to each person that's sending messages to a celebrity. So instead, it estimates based on several stupid indicators. Are they using twenty exclamation marks in a row? Do they endlessly use the abbreviation 'OMG'? Do they seem incapable of working out where their Shift key is? These indicators have a strong correlation with the message, and its sender, being stupid.
- How valid are Stupid Fight's results?
- Like the Body Mass Index, it's an excellent indicator but may not work for certain people. It is, for example, blind to irony. It may have issues with non-English languages. Its accuracy given one individual Twitter message, or one individual user, is quite low. On average, however, it's not a bad test at all.
- Who do you count as a 'fan'?
- The last 100 people to send an @reply to the target celebrity.
- It's broken!
- Quite possibly. This was coded in a few hours' frenzy after getting the idea, and there are almost certainly bugs.
- Are you storing the results?
- No: all the processing is happening on your own computer. That means the results can, and will, change over time as new messages are sent.
- I'm a linguist, and I find your prescriptive approach to language unacceptable.
- I'm also a linguist, and I find your mum's prescriptive approach to language unacceptable.
- I have another question!
- Email me. I'm friendly. Oh, and I thought I should mention that I'm looking for work doing web, video and viral stuff. Just in case.